AFAS Australian Filipino
AFAS is an organisation that was established at Villanova College, Brisbane, Australia
in 1992 to promote solidarity between the people of Augustinian communities
within Australia and the Philippines.
AFAS developed as a result of what was discussed and witnessed during
the 1992 APAC conference held in Tagaytay City outside Manila, Philippines.
recommendations of this conference called for close communication and
networking between Augustinian communities particularly schools for
an exchange of information, ideas, friendship and mutual education.
As a result the organisation of AFAS was established at Villanova College
AIM OF AFAS
aim of AFAS is to foster a spirit of solidarity on social justice issues
among Augustinian communties in Australia and the Asia Pacific region,
particularly the Philippines.
OBJECTIVES OF AFAS
- To provide an opportunity for friendships to develop within Augustinian
communities in Australia and the Philippines.
- To create an awareness and appreciation of the Filipino people their
culture and the struggles of a developing country.
- To create an awareness of social justice issues in the Philippines.
- To stand in solidarity with Augustinian communities in the Philippines,
thus offering support wherever possible to assist in developing programs
for them to become self reliant and productive.
- To arrange friendship exchanges between Augustinian communities
within Australia and the Philippines.
MODELS OF AFAS
raise awareness and funds among the student body
only focus at present is the Philippines
other organisations at Villanova address local issues
WHAT HAS AFAS ACHIEVED?
Since 1992 Villanova AFAS has:
- funded a total of forty-four education scholarships at the following schools and colleges: (1) Divine Love High School - Talisay,
Cebu (2) La Consolacion Academy, Murcia, Negros Oriental (3) five elementary students at the outeach program of Colegio de San Agustin, Bacolod
- provided resources in the following schools: (1) at Donao art materials and surfacing a basketball court, (2) at Divine Love High School - Talisay,
Cebu the provision of library books, sporting equipment, microscopes and Internert access, (3) at La Consolacion Academy, Murcia classroom lighting, (4) at Bacolid resources for pre-school
- at Donao funded co-operatives for fishing, a bakery and a piggery
- undertaken projects: cement foundation for a small health clinic at an outreach centre in Bacolid, and (2) a cement foundation for a small community-based pre-school centre outreach in Bacolid
THE DEVELOPMENT OF AFAS
||APAC Conference in Manila spoke of Australia-Philippines Augustinian co-operation
||As a consequence, AFAS was established at Villanova
||The first Villanova College friendship
exchange to the Phillippines. This has continued as a bi-annual event right up to the present time (2008), involving on each occasion a number of Villanova staff members and students.
||Three Filipino Lay Augustinians visited Villanova
||Second Villanova friendship exchange and commitment
to Divine Love students
Established scholarships at Iloilo and Bacolod
||Third Villanova friendship exchange to the Philippines
Contact made with Outreach centres
||AFAS (Villanova) hosted Filipino people who had attended the Augustinian Youth Festival in Sydney, Australia.
||AFAS hosted a group of musicians from Regina Carmeli College in the Philippines during a concert tour in Australia
||AFAS represented at Lay Augustinian Congress in Rome
||Fourth Villanova friendship exchange to the Philippines
||Seventh AFAS visit and friendshiop exchange by Villanova staff and students to the Philippines.....
||Eighth AFAS visit and friendship exchange by Villanova staff and students to the Philippines..
||Villanova AFAS arranged sponsorship of a teacher from La Consolacion Academy at Murcia, Negros Oriental, Philippines to attend World Youth Day in Sydney, Australia